Company: Dr Maths
Company Type: Outreach and teacher CPD
With a wealth of experience in creating a positive attitude to maths I will impassion your students and engage your staff in a Maths Day to remember. 'Hidden Secrets from the World of Dr Maths' days capture and retains the attention of students who otherwise may be indifferent in their normal maths lessons.
Steve Humble (aka Dr Maths) is an expert in giving students the opportunity to see how they can use and apply the maths in the curriculum to create their own maths magic. During the Maths Day students will learn how to make their own 'Number and Shape Magic' in a fun environment. By learning how to develop maths themselves they will feel more confident about their own maths ability in the future.
Dr Maths is one of the three examples given of "inspirational Maths individuals/organisations" on page 38 of the new Conservative Governments Maths Education report by Carol Vorderman which came out in August 2011
Steve Humble (aka DrMaths)
Freelance Mathematics Consultant
Having worked as a maths subject leader in various educational establishments for over 20 years, I have spent the last five years as a Senior Regional Coordinator for the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM). Now working as a Freelance Mathematics Consultant, I support schools in raising their student achievement through creating a positive attitude to maths. I also work with the Further Mathematics Support Programme and teach mathematics on the Primary PGCE Course at Newcastle University.
Here are a few examples to show the range of support I can offer:
- Strategies to raise student achievement.
- Creating positive attitude to maths.
- Improving parent involvement in children's maths homework.
- Creating maths walks in school and local environments.
- Developing maths games using playground markings.
- Logic puzzles and code breaking workshops
- Maths magic workshops for students and teachers CPD sessions.
- Maths Maze Days.
- Maths Busking training
- Sixth Form creative maths.
- Mathematics Master classes for the Royal Institution.
I have worked with other organisation such as the BALTIC (maths art), LIFE (maths science), FACE ( maths farming, growing and cooking), Northern Architecture (maths architecture), Creative Partnerships on projects with teachers and students illustrating the importance of maths across the curriculum.
- Age range covered: 5 - 18 (KS1 to KS5)
- Outreach for pupils: Mathematics
- CPD & Consultancy: Creativity
- Ideas & Inspiration: Enrichment day activities
- Documents Held: CRB Check